Today, Secret Base and Modus Games have brought the iconic Double Dragon franchise back with Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S with support for Smart Delivery and Optimized for Xbox Series X|S — you can pick it up now on the Xbox Store!
We’ve introduced a few new features to the series and one of these new features is the ability to play as 13 different characters, each with their own unique moves and special attacks. Our goal was to ensure that no two characters would play the same. This means that not only does each character have different stats, but they also have diverse moves that change your playstyle and combat strategies. I’m going to give you a rundown of these fighters and their moves, which you can see in action in the launch trailer below.
There are four characters that you can play as when you start the game, including the acclaimed Lee brothers, Billy and Jimmy. Billy is swift and flexible with his kick attacks, but deals less damage than his brother Jimmy, who has strong fist attacks but moves slower.
Joining them is a familiar face in Marian, who uses long-range attacks to wreak havoc thanks to the glass cannon from her police days. She struggles in close combat, but thankfully our fourth playable character, Uncle Matin, can step in with his shield. A former military man, Matin unleashes massive damage with shield attacks, and once the battle is over, enjoys a nice cup of tea.
As mentioned before, every character has three special moves that can be triggered once you have enough SP in your meter. These attacks wield heavy damage and can help when surrounded by a hoard of enemies. An example is shown here with Uncle Matin’s special move list.
In Double Dragon Gaiden, there are nine unlockable characters that you can purchase from the token shop with the cash you earn from playing. The first of these unlockable characters are the game’s sub-bosses. These include:
The next unlockable characters that you can play as are the game’s bosses, including:
The 13th Character
Finally, we come to our last playable character. But…if I tell you who it is, it will spoil the secret. You’ll just have to play Double Dragon Gaiden to learn about this mysterious person firsthand.
Grab Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons today on the Xbox Store!
Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons
Explore the early beginnings of the young Double Dragon brothers as they take on both new and familiar enemies in this alternate story. In this fresh roguelite take, every playthrough is a brand new chance at new action. Featuring a unique and dynamic level structure, the difficulty of the missions you take on will change depending on the order you have selected them.
Tag in and out as the classic duo Billy and Jimmy, switch it up with Marian and Uncle Matin, or experiment with 9 additional unlockable characters, each with their own special moves and unique playstyles. With 2 player local co-op, the action quadruples as you and a friend clean up the mean streets.
– TAG TEAM ACTION – Choose two fighters and seamlessly switch between them, giving you a multitude of strategies for devastating combos, defensive and offensive moves.
– BEAT ‘EM UP WITH ROGUELITE ELEMENTS– Experience endless playthrough possibilities with a dynamic mission select function; the order in which you choose your mission will affect mission length, number of enemies, and overall difficulty. Choose where you improve with randomized purchasable upgrades for your characters at the end of each mission, or save your cash to revive your players in-mission.
– 13 UNIQUE PLAYABLE CHARACTERS – Start the fight with Billy, Jimmy, Marian, and Uncle Matin. Earn tokens along the way to unlock a diverse roster of 9 more characters, each with their own playstyle and strengths. Strategically choose your fighting duo by taking into account each characters’ strengths and weaknesses.
– SHAPE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND REWARDS – Adjust game difficulty to affect the amount of tokens earned per session and use those tokens to unlock content from the Token Shop including characters, tips, and more. Modifier can be used to enter permadeath or even infinite mode.
– LOCAL CO-OP – Grab a friend and clean up the city streets together in local co-op mode that supports up to two players.
Next Week on Xbox: New Games for July 24 to 28
Dive Into the Pixelated World of Hammerwatch II
Double Dragon Gaiden: How Roguelite Elements Add to the Beat ‘Em Up Classic
Source: MajorNelson Xbox News