Silent Hill publisher Konami seemingly allowed the series’ domain name to expire and someone bought it just to make fun of the company.
SilentHill.com now displays a single, real tweet from Silent Hill 2 and 3’s art director Masahiro Ito, who said he regrets designing the series’ iconic villain Pyramid Head.
The change was spotted by PC Gamer, which also noted that Konami failed to renew the Silent Hill domain in 2019, but was able to buy it again in that instance. While Ito doesn’t say why he regrets creating Pyramid Head, PC Gamer also acknowledges that the developer tweeted previously that for Konami “to use [Pyramid Head] in so many titles makes [Pyramid Head] cheaper” before deleting the post.
I wish I hadn’t designed fxxkin Pyramid Head.
— 伊藤暢達/Masahiro Ito (@adsk4) February 20, 2022
Konami currently has a page for the Silent Hill series on its own website, so it may be that the company doesn’t see the need to own SilentHill.com – but it’s not the best look either way. As users on Reddit point out, last year the site was seemingly used to respond to memes around Resident Evil Village’s Lady Dimitrescu.
Silent Hill has been dormant since 2012, with the series featuring eight mainline games, starting with the original in 1999 (which IGN said was amazing) and ending on Silent Hill: Downpour in 2012 (which IGN said was bad).
The series reared its head again in 2014 when Konami released P.T., a playable teaser for a new game called Silent Hills, to be directed by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo del Toro, but the project was controversially cancelled and removed from the PlayStation store a few months later.
Reports emerged last year saying Konami was working on new Silent Hill projects, but we’ve heard nothing on that front since. Silent Hill creator Keiichiro Toyama said last week that he would like to create a psychological horror game reminiscent of the original.
Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale.
Source: IGN Video Games All