Geoff Keighley has revealed that Ghost of Tsushima is The Game Awards Player’s Voice Award winner this year after three rounds of voting from fans.
The Game Awards will take place on December 10 and it’s there that awards like Best Narrative, Best Direction, and of course, Game of the Year, will be announced. These awards are voted on by both a curated voting jury and fans, but in those instances, the voting jury accounts for 90% of the vote while the fan vote accounts for the other 10%. That’s not the case in the Player’s Voice Award – which is entirely decided upon by fans, or really anyone who signs in to The Game Awards to vote.
— Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) December 8, 2020
There’s no vote weighing involved with this award so Ghost of Tsushima is the game that got the most total votes out of all the other nominees. It beat out other 2020 releases like The Last of Us Part II, Hades, and Doom Eternal.
Ghost of Tsushima saw its placement in the rankings shift each round. It had a 3% lead over TLOU2 during the second round of voting – 14% and 11% of the votes respectively – and then when the final round began on December 6, TLOU2 climbed to 43% of the vote while Ghost of Tsushima only had 31%.
Then, with just four hours to go before the closing of votes, Ghost of Tsushima jumped up to 47% and TLOU2 dropped to 33%. That was the last update Keighley gave of the voting percentages before announcing Tuesday that Ghost of Tsushima is the Player’s Voice Award winner for The Game Awards this year.
Read our thoughts on the game in our Ghost of Tsushima review and then read about how multiplayer has always been a pillar of Sucker Punch’s plans for the game with Ghost of Tsushima: Legends. If you haven’t yet played the game, the PlayStation 5 is a great place to do so as the game runs at 60fps via Game Boost on the PS5.
Wesley LeBlanc is a freelance news writer and guide maker for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @LeBlancWes.
Source: IGN Video Games All