WWE 2K Battlegrounds will launch for PC (via Steam), Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS4 and Stadia on September 18.
The over-the-top throwback wrestling game will feature over 70 playable wrestlers at launch, both Superstars and Legends. Executive producer Steve O’Connor told IGN that more wrestlers will be added as free updates after launch. There’s also a Superstar Creator function to build your own character. Mauro Ranallo and Jerry Lawler provide commentary.
The game includes 4 modes:
- Campaign: 7 new wrestlers (created specially from the game) are competing for a WWE contract – you’ll pick one and fight across multiple maps (unlocking them as you go), with guidance from ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin and Paul Heyman along the way. You can learn more about the Campaign mode in our explainer article.
- Exhibition: Local and online multiplayer matches featuring up to four players.
- King of the Battleground: An online last-man-standing mode sees four players begin in the ring, with four more waiting outside it to enter. You’ll need to take them all down to win.
- Online: Aside from King of the Battleground and Exhibitions, online tournaments are also promised.
[widget path=”global/article/imagegallery” parameters=”albumSlug=wwe-2k-battlegrounds&captions=true”]
The game will feature 8 locations to fight across, which include ludicrous interactive elements (from helicopters to alligators), and a variety of melee weapons. You’ll also be able to customise your own arena.
So far, confirmed wrestlers include:
- The Rock
- ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin
- Ronda Rousey
- Roman Reigns
- Drew McIntyre
- Charlotte Flair
- Becky Lynch
- Daniel Bryan
- Kofi Kingston
- Randy Orton
- Andre the Giant
- Shawn Michaels
- Sgt. Slaughter
- John Cena
- Nikki Bella
- Sasha Banks
- Braun Strowman
- The Fiend Bray Wyatt
- Big Show
- Samoa Joe
- Edge (Pre-order/Digital Deluxe edition bonus)
Battlegrounds will be the only WWE 2K game this year, after the mainline simulation series went into extended development due to negative feedback on the last installment.
Source: IGN Video Games All